The circularity mapping is a complex process. To perform it, a task group of international and national experts of the CSO Georgian Society of Nature Exploders “Orchis” (GSNE “Orchis”), through funding of the Government of Sweden and in close cooperation with the Inter-Ministerial Coordination Board of the Government of Georgia (GoG) under the leadership of Acad. Solomon Pavliashvili – Deputy Minister at the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture of Georgia, assessed economic sectors of Georgia in terms of circularity.
National quantitative circular economy policy targets and circular ambitions were recommended, sectoral opportunities identified, sector-specific policy options were defined and a set of recommendations for the Circular Economy Roadmap and Strategy for Georgia were developed.
The conclusion was that Georgia is 1.3% circular—leaving a circularity gap of 98.7%. However, it is possible to increase its level of circularity up to 6.6% in the coming 5/10 years and for some sectors, like agribusiness, the potential is even much higher and can reach 25%.
Georgia is currently a clear regional leader in the accelerated path towards circularity. The Government of Sweden is one of the key advocates of the circular transformation in Georgia, and through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) has funded the Circular Economy Programme implemented by our organization-Georgian Society of Nature Exploders “Orchis” in close cooperation and coordination with the GoG and especially the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Agriculture. One of the components of the mentioned Circular Economy Programme is the mapping of the circularity level of the economy of Georgia-emphasizes chair of the organization-Dr Mariam Kimeridze.
Georgian Society of Nature Explorers “Orchis” is delighted to share the link to the Article “Circularity Mapping for Georgia,” published today in Forbes.
DR. DARIUSZ PRASEK
International Consultant on Circular Economy Issues, Team Leader, GSNE “Orchis”, To Map Circular Economy in Georgia Project
Doctor in Environmental Engineering, Independent International Expert in Sustainable Financing, Environmental, Social and Governance Areas. Former Director of Operations in Environmental and Sustainability Department of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
DR. MEDGAR TCHELIDZE
Key National Expert in Sustainable Development, Deputy Team Leader, GSNE “Orchis”, To Map Circular Economy in Georgia Project
Doctor in Biological Sciences, Expert in Environmental, Social, Governance and Sustainability Areas.